Have Sex people. Lose Virginity!

Well for starters, I am opinionated, so don't blame me after reading this blog post.

All religions in Srilanka appear to have a virginity fetish. "Wait until marriage" is The Rule. Even the expression "losing my virginity" connotes a loss to be mourned, instead of an experience to cherish.

But Virginity is complete fucking bullshit, and I'm tired of it.

This one girl at my office constantly bitches about traveling alone on duty. She also, get this: refuses to go outstation because she’s a virgin. Seriously, today she was like: yeah I'm a virgin, no? How can I go alone? Yes, mother mary, why did you come to work here? You are a virgin, no?

In our hyper-conservative, ultra-backward society, unwed non-virgins are perhaps the only sexual sub-culture left with the power to shock us.

An unwed non-virgin? Are you serious? We simply expect to encounter well-dressed, celibate women, and it seems that they do exist.

Sex is a taboo. When aroused, have a bit of a snog, a bit of a cuddle, but not for too long. Don’t have urges coz one day, it will all need to be unlocked for the right person (chosen by parents), and what a wonderful day that will be.

It's very much a personal choice and I would never condemn anyone for choosing to be celibate.

We expect our teens to be zealots or introverted teenage virgins who have made pledges of lifelong abstinence without really knowing what it means. How cruel?

But I am part of the new generation of twenty something men who hope to reinvent our long-held notions of virginity in Srilanka.

This insistence on 'saving yourself' is bit old-fashioned, a tad retrograde. After all, there are plenty of young women who actively enjoy a series of physical relationships before marriage without feeling devalued by them. At least I know all three of my Ex-girlfriends slept with me, many times!

Boys are expected to be sexual, and to start sowing their "wild oats" as soon as they can. Whether or not the male wants to be sexually active is irrelevant; he is expected to get laid. A girl who seeks sexual experiences early, on the other hand, is often regarded as "loose" or "fast". She soon receives the label "slut", whether she has earned it or not. Why this hypocrisy?

Virginity, according to the Srilankan ideal, is a "sacred" gift that should only be given to one's husband or wife in a marriage. In order to remain "pure", you must repress your natural sexuality and avoid intense physical contact (no more than a light kiss dahlings) with your lover even if you value that person as highly as you value yourself.

But, true love should be expressed, not only with words but also with physical action, no? I know I know some of you have come to the conclusion that this Taprobane Uncut is a sex maniac.

Sex is a necessary and proper expression of lovers feeling for one another, and sex is to love what action is to thought, possession to evaluation, body to soul.

To claim that sex has nothing to do with love is to claim that one must choose between lust and love, between the body and the mind. But a choice between mind and body is a false one.

Religions treat sex as a necessary evil, just as it treats love as a duty. Objectivism, on the other hand, treats sex as a celebration of one's existence and love as a tribute given to whose virtues one admires.

I guess what I wanted to say was, get laid early for life is short !

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you're a SLFPer... Anyway, I once read on a T-shirt, "virginity is not dignity. It's just the lack of opportunity."

ABC said...

Seriously, today she was like: yeah I'm a virgin, no? How can I go alone?

She really used these words? Funny.

I think the vast majority of Sri Lankan youngsters have sex. Only the ones who can't seem to get any (hint: Lefroy) seem to blame our culture, SLFP etc. for their inability.

Sach said...

There's another point why you should get laid before marriage, if you're a girl.

I'm not one, but from what almost all my friends of the fairer sex who are close enough to discuss the subject have told me that it's a fucking pain (all pun intended) the first time. So, why would you want to be in pain in your honeymoon night, which you planned a year ago? Just get this over with beforehand, and then enjoy the pleasure on your honeymoon.

:D

Anonymous said...

Bardo Flanks thinks he's being funny. Hah hah. Yeah he's being funny... Sometime ago, the president of the Press Council thought that lesbians should be raped by convicted rapists to cure them. So I guess Bardo is either that press council guy or one of those convicted rapists.